Signs You Are Suffering From Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D can be found in few foods like mackerel, tuna, sardines, herring and other fatty fishes. There are also foods fortified with vitamin D. However, most vitamin D is acquired from sun exposure. You should know that vitamin D is important for bone health. Vitamin D deficiency will lead to bone-related illnesses like osteoporosis, bone pain, hyperparathyroidism and osteogenesis imperfect.
Vitamin D is also capable to boost the immune system. You see, vitamin D is important but there are people who suffer from vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D deficiency is common and not all Singaporeans know they have Vitamin D deficiency. Given this, it is important to know the signs of vitamin D deficiency you can do something about it. Here are some signs that you should watch out:
- Dark skin: If you have darker skin, there is a greater risk of developing vitamin D deficiency. Remember that you get most of vitamin D from the sun. People with dark skin need ten times more sun exposure to produce sufficient amount of vitamin D.
- You are “blue”: Yes, your exposure to sun affects your mood. Serotonin rises if you are exposed to bright light but it falls with reduced sun exposure. This means that vitamin D deficiency can affect your mood. If you always feel “blue”, that means you need to catch more sun.
- Aching bones: It was mentioned earlier that vitamin D is important for your bone health. If the aching of your bones is combined with fatigue, you will end up misdiagnosed. Doctors may think that it is fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia but in truth it is vitamin D deficiency.
- 50 years old or older: You should know that as you get old, your skin will not make much vitamin D. Your kidneys will also become less capable of converting vitamin D into a form that the body can use.
- Head sweating: The classic symptom of vitamin D deficiency is head sweating. If you notice that you have sweaty head, you should submit to check-up.
Now you know the signs. If you feel one or more signs, you should consult your doctors right away. Do not worry because there are many specialists here in Singapore that can help you. Do not ignore the signs because it will get worse at the end of the day. You should give importance to your bones and your health in general so you can live your life to the fullest.